So after Rivermaya band’s performance at the SMB Night Kaamulan Festival 2013 in Malaybalay City, Bukidnon, my friends Jojo, Jacquee, Emil and I, including the San Miguel Beer bosses and folks behind St. Jude Distributors, accompanied them for dinner. Artists usually request for food after concerts and frankly, my friends and I became pretty hungry, too haha! Who wouldn’t be when Rivermaya gave quite an electrifying performance and we all danced and sang our hearts out that night? In fact, all of us were still on a natural high after the show
We all trooped to a local restaurant, thinking that all we’d do is eat, accompany the boys, take photos and say our goodbyes. What actually happened was far more than just that. There was laughter – LOTS of it. There was an impromptu jam. There were super funny antics – LOTS! People had the chance to sing with Rivermaya. And Rivermaya gamely sang several songs! Woo hoo!
It was a night to remember! MISMO NA!
To “preserve” some precious memories that only the people who were present that night have the privilege to share, I won’t post all of the photos I took. Suffice it to say that it was an evening that every Rivermaya fan will cherish. Personally, I saw a different side of the guys that night and I was truly impressed. I’ve worked with so many artists in the past already and I can safely say that the Rivermaya members I met that night were amazing, very talented, amiable and game! I just hope that they remain humble and approachable amid the fame.
Mark Escueta and Norby David
Handsome Mark gamely sings a song
Looks like Mike and Al, who stood a few feet away, had a great time
Mike Elgar gamely hit the guitar. Asked him for a smile. Look at what he gave me
Norby David a.k.a. Mr. Smile. I call him Mabs. I told the other guys about it and they were like, “Puwede! Puwede ding Bents.” If you want to know why, leave a comment below
Mabs belting out “Kisapmata”
Norby showcasing his vocal chops
I told Mabs this photo will help draw in lots of traffic for my websites Do you agree?
The guys having a little meeting What do you think they’re discussing?
Actually, I asked them for a video message for the readers of two of my websites.
MALAYBALAY CITY | BUKIDNON | KAAMULAN FESTIVAL 2013 – As I previously mentioned, this blogger from Mindanao was in Bukidnon for the Kaamulan Festival 2013, the yearly festival that also serves as the gathering of Bukidnon’s 7 hill tribes. I made sure I attended this year’s Kaamulan Festival since I missed it last year, having been sent by the U.S. Embassy to take part in the U.S. State Department’s International Visitor Leadership Program. Not only is the festival a chance for me to witness cultural diversity and rich traditions, it is also a chance for me to be with friends and family.
One of the Kaamulan 2013 events I covered was the San Miguel Beer (SMB) Night held at the Capitol Grounds, Malaybalay City last March 10, 2013. This year, the SMB Night was topbilled by no less than popular Filipino band Rivermaya! Three local bands and Manila-based pop funk/alternative band Save Me Hollywood also performed that night.
Thanks to the bigwigs of San Miguel Beer, St. Jude Distributor and my dearest friends Jojo and Jacquee, I, along with mutual friends, enjoyed VIP treatment that night! Backstage passes, seats nearest the stage, access to the moshpit (woo hoo!), unlimited San Miguel Beer (double woo hoo!) and the chance to even hang out with Rivermaya until 3:30 in the morning (yep, you read that right!) More on that later. In the meantime, allow me to share with you some of the photos I took of Rivermaya band. There’s also a special video message for all of you so I hope you watch and share it
Just in case you’re wondering about the new lineup, Rivermaya is now composed of Mark Escueta (who used to be the drummer; he’s now a guitarist and vocalist – can I just say that this guy’s really very nice?), Mike Elgar (guitarist and vocalist – he’s very amiable and accommodating to fans), Ryan Peralta (drummer – Mr. Cool Cat who’s smart and fun to talk to) and Norby David (vocalist and bassist – I call him “Mabs” and he calls me “Minda” – don’t ask) They’re all pretty cool and I’m glad I met them. Although technically, I already “met” them in 2009 during the Kapamilya Karavan. Anyways, more kuwentos in my next post
Please feel free to leave comments about the photos. Please share this post, too. Salamat!
And now for their special video message
Did you find the post useful? Please support this site by sharing the post :) Thank you!
The term Kaamulan, derived from the word “amul” which means “to gather,” can mean many things – a datuship ritual, a thanksgiving festival, a peace pact or a wedding ceremony. This year, the Bukidnon Kaamulan Festival 2013 is all of these
The Kaamulan 2013 theme is: “Sustaining Culture and Unity Towards Progress and Development”
Please note that most, if not all, Kaamulan-related activities will be held in Malaybalay City, the capital of Bukidnon.
Visit Bukidnon! It will be an experience you will never forget Please feel free to leave any questions, comments below. This Mindanao blogger will be most happy to help you. Alternatively, you can also visit Bukidnon Online – the longest-running blog about Bukidnon.
Just in case you want to witness the Kaamulan Festival 2013 hassle-free, you can also join a Kaamulan 2013 Tour. This tour, which will be led by a duly accredited local Bukidnon tour guide, will allow you to witness and appreciate the rich culture and tradition in Bukidnon. Read more about the Kaamulan Festival 2013 Tour here.
Bukidnon Kaamulan Festival 2013 Schedule of Activities
February 18, 2013
- Soft opening of Kaamulan Festival 2013 at Malaybalay City, Bukidnon (the capital of the province)
- Soft opening of Garden Show, Agri Fair, Livestock and Poultry Show, Kaamulan Bazaar, Food Fest (these activities will run through March 10, 2013). There will also be a photo exhibit and contest.
- 6 AM – Kaamulan Hu Pangampu (tribal prayer), Kaamulan Grounds
- School band parade and motorcade (to be participated in by sponsors)
- Ribbon Cutting, Rotary Park, 10 AM, Capitol Grounds
- School band competition, 10:30 AM, Capitol Grounds
February 23, 2013
- Indigenous Peoples Week Celebration
- Tree Planting and Climb
- Provincial IP Thanksgiving Day on February 25
- Tribal Wedding on February 26
- Tribal Olympics on February 27 to March 1
- Kaamulan Hu Pamukalag Daw Panalawahig, Capitol Grounds, 8 AM
February 24, 2013
- Flowerhorn Fish Show (this will run until March 2, 2013), Capitol Grounds
- Bukidnon Seven Ethnic Groups Convention (Bunsuda daw Bigula hu kag Dapita) on February 23 and 24
February 25, 2013
- Continuation of Garden Show, Agri Fair, Livestock and Poultry Show, Kaamulan Bazaar, Food Fest (these activities will run through March 10, 2013)
- Continuation of the Tribal Convention (Bunsuda daw Bigula hu kag Dapita)
- Kaamulan Ethnic Sports (Alu-alu), Capitol Grounds, 8 AM
- Piniliyapan (a night of Bukidnon songs and music, Kaamulan Folk Arts Theater), 7 PM
March 2, 2013
- A “pamuhat” or Pamukalag ha pamuhat ta Kaamulan will be held at the Capitol Grounds and at Sumpong area, 4 AM
- Kaamulan 2013 Ethnic Street Dancing Competition (along Fortich Street, Malaybalay City – the main thoroughfare. There will also be a ground presentation at the Capitol Grounds. Find a good spot along Fortich Street early! Don’t forget to wear light clothes and wear a hat or cap as much as possible. Bring food and water also since most, if not all, stores along Fortich Street will be closed.
Participating cities and municipalities: (Kaamulan Festival 2013 Ethnic Street Dancing Contest)
- Opening of the 2013 Kaamulan Kaamulan Rodeo, Grandstand, 1 PM
- Dance Clinic (learn how to dance the various Bukidnon tribes dances!), 2 PM, Capitol Grounds
- Musical concert, Capitol Stage, 7 PM
- Fireworks Display
March 3, 2013
- Kaamulan Festival 2013 Wall Climb Competition, Kaamulan Grounds, 8 AM
- 3rd Gov. Alex Calingasan Moto Trail Challenge, Kaamulan Grounds, 8 AM
- Kaamulan Ethno Cultural Race, Capitol Grounds, 2 PM
- Rodeo Night (this is where Bukidnon cowboys and cowgirls assemble around a bonfire etc.), Grandstand, 7 PM
March 4, 2013
- Continuation of bazaar, food fest, livestock show etc and the moto trail challenge
- Tribal Music and Modern Kaamulan Tattoo Contest, Kaamulan Folk Arts Theater, 1 PM
March 5, 2013
- Kaamulan Chess Tournament, Bukidnon State University, 8 AM
March 6, 2013
- Laga Ta Bukidnon 2013 (Binibining Bukidnon 2013 pageant), Kaamulan Open Theater, 7 PM
March 7, 2013
- Musical concert, Capitol Stage, 7 PM
March 8, 2013
- Women’s Summit, Kaamulan Open Theater, 8 AM
March 9, 2013
- Coronation of Bb. Bukidnon 2013 (Kaamulan Folk Arts Theater), 7 PM
March 10, 2013
- Musical concert, Capitol Stage, 7 PM
March 14, 2013
- Opening of the Kaamulan Motocross Competition, Grandstand, 8 AM
March 15, 2013
- Motocross finals
PLEASE DO NOT FORGET TO SHARE THIS PAGE Let’s all help promote the Kaamulan Festival!