This fake rice controversy is really very alarming. News reports have so far stated that these alleged fake rice grains entered the Philippine market from China. Although there have been no reports of death, authorities say that people who may have digested these plastic rice grains may experience dizziness, stomach ache and vomiting. Hence, it’s really important that we all be extra careful when we buy rice these days.
Here are some tips on how to spot fake rice:
1. Regular and well-milled rice are white and long-grained
2. Fake rice looks too shiny, too round and are uniform in shape and size
3. Real rice does not smell like plastic
4. Fake rice may weigh less than the usual at a certain volume
5. Real rice have “bran streaks”
Please buy from National Food Authority-licensed retailers.
Should there be any suspected fake rice or plastic rice sold in the market, please get in touch with the National Food Authority Bantay Bigas Hotline: 0906 436 3133