UPDATE: Less than a day after the Bukidnon provincial board decided to push through with the Kaamulan Festival 2020, Bukidnon Governor Jose Ma. Zubiri, Jr. has now canceled the annual gathering altogether.
Despite an advisory from the Department of Health (DOH) concerning the ongoing threat of the spread of the novel Coronavirus, the Kaamulan Festival in Bukidnon will push through. This, according to Bukidnon Second District Board Member Atty. Nemesio “Jun” Beltran.
The DOH advisory, duly signed by Secretary Francisco Duque, urged the public to “avoid attending, participating in, and organizing events that draw a huge number of attendees.” The health department also recommends the cancellation of such planned big events or mass gatherings until further advice.
“The governor consulted the board members today on whether or not to continue the festival as is despite the memorandum warning of Sec. Duque,” Beltran told Mindanaoan.
“The board unanimously voted to proceed with the Kaamulan Festival 2020. The governor is expected to inform all of the 464 barangay captains of the decision,” Beltran added.
When asked if the move would mean defying the DOH, Beltran told Mindanaoan that the DOH “merely recommended.”
“The Kaamulan 2020 street dancing on April 18 is still 2 months away. Per medical reports in the papers, the nCov is expected to reach its peak at the end of this month then it will slowly fade out as the hosts are either contained or (have) perished. So as of today, Kaamulan Festival 2020 is a go.”
So far, Davao City and General Santos City have canceled major events in their cities. The Araw ng Davao and Kalilangan Festival 2020 have been canceled.